- Create a Home Fire Escape Plan.
- Never leave holiday lights plugged in when no one is home.
- Keep lighters and matches away from children.
- Be sure your clothes dryer is clean – and never allow the dryer to run when no one is home.
- Candles should never be left unattended.
- Be sure to practice “Fire Drills” and establish an outdoor meeting place.
- Be sure to properly maintain all heating systems, including wood burning equipment and chimneys.
- Have a fire extinguisher and keep it properly maintained.
- “Change your clock, Change your battery” . Be sure to change the batteries in all smoke detectors at least yearly. Daylight Savings Time changes are a good time to remember to check them.
National Fire Protection Association Public Education Page