203 E. Grand Blanc Road, Grand Blanc MI
MONDAY-FRIDAY: 8:00 AM-5:00 PM  |  CITY: 810-694-1118  | DPW: 810-694-5420  | POLICE : 810-694-1111  | FIRE: 810-603-7901

Do I Need a Permit?

Do I Need A Permit?

Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing permits and inspections may now be obtained through the City of Grand Blanc. 

Building permits are typically required for the following projects:

  • New buildings
  • Additions
  • Demolitions
  • Prefabricated structures
  • Temporary buildings
  • Miscellaneous for Residential
    1. Fireplaces
    2. Roofs
    3. Siding
    4. Pools
    5. Decks
  • Miscellaneous for Commercial
    1. Parking
    2. Roofs
    3. Siding
    4. Health
    5. Food Handling
Are there other websites that might be helpful?

Visit https://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154--458072--,00.html for the State Bureau of Construction Codes or www.iccsafe.org for the International Code Council.

Permit Questions

Can I build a shed?
Can I build a shed?

Can I build a fence?
Can I build a fence?

Fences are permitted subject to the following regulations:

  • Permits: The erection, construction or alteration of any fence six feet (6') or less in height shall require a Zoning Compliance Permit. The permit fee is $35.00. The erection, construction, or alteration of any fence shall conform with the remaining provisions of Zoning Ordinance Section 315.
  • Location in front yards: Fences of an ornamental nature may be located in a front yard of any lot of record up to a height of twenty-four (24) inches, provided that for corner lots adequate sight distance is provided as described in Zoning Ordinance Section 330.
  • Location in other yards: Fences between two properties should be located on the property line. The Applicant shall submit a signed statement, from all adjoining property owners on whose property line the fence would be constructed, indicating that they do not object to the erection of the fence. If it becomes impossible to obtain the written statement from the adjoining property owners, then the fence shall be located at least six (6) inches inside the property line and the fence owner is responsible for maintaining the property between the fence and the property line. On all lots of record, fences which enclose property and/or are within a required side or rear yard shall not exceed six (6) feet in height, and shall not extend toward the front of the lot nearer the front of the house or the required front yard, whichever is greater.
  • Prohibition in right-of way: Fences shall not be erected in public street rights-of-way.
  • Location/height in industrial districts: Fences in I-1 or I-2 Districts with a maximum height of six (6) feet may be located in any yard except the front yard provided such fences shall be located on parcels with a principal building containing an approved industrial use, the fence is maintained in good condition and does not constitute an unreasonable hazard or nuisance.
  • Wood fence standards: Wooden fences shall be a maximum of six (6) feet in height measured from the surrounding grade at every point along the fence line. Wood fences having one finished side shall have the exposed fence posts facing inward with the finished side of the fence facing outward unless otherwise approved by the Building and Zoning Administrator. There shall not be more than two (2) inches separating the bottom of the face board and the surface of the ground.
  • Chain link standards: No chain link or wire fence shall hereafter be erected in any required rear or side yard area on any lot of record in excess of six (6) feet in height measured from the surrounding grade at every point along the fence line. Welded wire fences are strictly prohibited unless utilized in conjunction with an approved fencing operation.
  • Public fences: Fences which enclose public parks, public institutions, playgrounds or other public areas, may be a maximum eight (8) feet in height, measured from the surrounding grade at every point along the fence line. Such fence shall not obstruct vision to an extent greater than twenty-five (25%) percent of the total fence area.
  • Materials: Ornamental fences are of approved materials, of a design as to be non-sight obscuring and of a fence type listed below:
    1. Post and rail
    2. Split rail
    3. PicketWrought iron
    4. Other types of ornamental fences must be approved by the Planning Commission prior to placement in a front yard area.
  • Restrictions on electrification: Fences shall not contain electric current or charge of electricity.
  • Restriction on barbed wire, etc.: Barbed wire, spikes, nails or any other sharp instruments of any kind are prohibited on top of or on the sides of any fence.
  • Maintenance: All fences shall be maintained in a good condition, in an upright position and shall not constitute an unreasonable hazard. Any fence which is not maintained, as determined by the Building and Zoning Administrator, shall be removed or replaced (any required fence shall be replaced).
Can I build a deck?
Can I build a deck? 

A building permit is necessary. Please obtain an application. 

The deck is subject to the zoning ordinance setback rules. If you are unsure of the setback requirements, please check with the building department.

Fill out sections 1, 2, 3, and 4 of the permit application.

Regarding Page 4:

  • A site drawing IS required
  • The drawing does not have to be to scale. However, it is helpful
  • You must include all dimensions including the setback (distance) from all property lines 
The construction of your deck is regulated by the 2009 Michigan Residential Code.

Three inspections are required.

  • Post Hole Inspection (42").
  • Frame Inspection
  • Final inspection (when it is completed).   
Can I put in a pool?
Can I put in a pool? 

Swimming pools shall comply with Section 313~Swimming Pools and Section 315~Fences of the City of Grand Blanc Zoning Ordinance. Pools shall also comply with the 2009 Michigan Residential Code~Appendix G.
  • Requirement for fence: Every person owning land on which there is located a pool shall erect and maintain thereon a fence or enclosure approved by the Building and Zoning Administrator in conformance with the City Building Code.
  • Restriction from front yard: Swimming pools, spas, hot tubs and similar devices shall not be located in any front yard.
  • There shall be a minimum distance of not less than ten (10) feet between the adjoining property line and the outside of the pool wall. The required side yard setbacks of the zoning district (Article XX) shall apply to side yards if greater than ten (10) feet.
  • There shall be a distance of not less than four (4) feet between the outside edge of the pool wall and any building located on the same lot.
  • Surrounding walk: All public swimming pools shall be surrounded by a slip resistant walk at least four (4) feet wide.
  • Permits: Construction shall be in accordance with the Michigan Building Code. Permits shall be applied for and issued from the City Building Department prior to excavation or construction of any swimming pool, spa, hot tub or similar device requiring a fence as noted above. The application shall be accompanied by a complete set of plans and specifications. A final inspection and approval from the City Building Department must be obtained prior to use of the swimming pool.
connect, grow, and become

Contact Us

It is our hope that this site will allow convenient access to information and help us provide the highest quality of service to our residents.

City of Grand Blanc Welcome Video
contact-1 City: 810 694-1118 | DPW: 810 694-5420 | Police: 810 694-1111 | Fire: 810 603-7901
contact-2 OFFICE HOURS: Monday-Friday | 8:00 AM-5:00 PM
contact-3 203 E. Grand Blanc Road, Grand Blanc MI