MAP to RUST PARK
8 Reasons Why Parks Matter
588 RUST PARK DRIVE
The land now known as Rust Park, located at the end of Rust Park Drive, was deeded to the City of Grand Blanc on December 15, 1939 by E. Sumner and Mary Rust. They stated that the land was “to be used for a city park, and to be known as Rust Park in memory of our nephew, Lieutenant William H. Rust, who was killed in the World War in France” on August 29, 1918. As part of the consideration of the donation, the City was required to spend at least $200 in development and maintenance of the park every year for a period of 10 years. The donated land consisted of approximately 20 acres. At the time of the donation, a newspaper article stated: “Laid out before the importance of public gathering places was realized, no provision was made in the community for a suitable place in which gatherings might be held. As a result, the decision of Mr. & Mrs. Rust to donate this splendid place is meeting with public approval and thanks.”
More than 60 years later, we continue to be grateful for this beautiful greenspace within the City. Having gladly met the requirements of the Rust family, the City has continued to improve and maintain this park past the initial 10-year period and visitors will find a memorial to Lt. Rust prominently in place. Equipped with a pavilion - complete with picnic tables, electricity and grills, permanent restroom facilities, a fenced play structure, tennis and basketball courts, and a baseball diamond, Rust Park offers something for everyone. Walking trails wind around the park and Thread Creek flows through it. Rust Park has also benefited from the results of several Eagle Scout service projects over the years, providing park benches, a “Human Sundial”, a storage shed for garden tools and many other improvements. A Children’s Garden was added in 2007, through the efforts of many volunteers, and more improvements are planned. Rust Park is the location for the annual “Duck Classic” rubber-duck fundraising race to benefit the Grand Blanc Community Educational Fund.